lynx-dev Re: lynx timeline

From: Ilya Zakharevich
Subject: lynx-dev Re: lynx timeline
Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2003 12:26:10 -0700

On Thu, Jun 05, 2003 at 01:42:37PM -0700, I wrote:
>       Sorry, what I meant was the "header-part" of the document, one
>       finished by the first "\r\n\r\n" (if I got this correct).
>
>       When we receive the header, it should be a good indication
>       that the server is going to deliver the document - at least
>       not worse than it did the last time ;-).

Leonid asked: And what if we got "500 Server error" responce, supplied
with a nice "please contact a webmaster" page?  What about non http://
schemes?  Any other ideas?

I think the discussion of error=500 is hair-splitting now: one needs
to run the new purging scheme for some time, *then* one can decide
which action is more appropriate.  [On the other hand, one can just
delegate the choice to the user via a .cfg setting.]

One can deal with any scheme the following way: when the first byte of
*content* (as opposed to headers/envelop) is recieved, the old version
is purged.  So if no headers are defined for a scheme, the purge
should happen on the first successful read()/recv().

Thanks,
Ilya