Re: lynx-dev Re: lynx timeline

From: Leonid Pauzner
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: lynx timeline
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 13:03:31 +0400 (MSD)

8-Jun-2003 12:26 Ilya Zakharevich wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 05, 2003 at 01:42:37PM -0700, I wrote:
>>      Sorry, what I meant was the "header-part" of the document, one
>>      finished by the first "\r\n\r\n" (if I got this correct).
>>
>>      When we receive the header, it should be a good indication
>>      that the server is going to deliver the document - at least
>>      not worse than it did the last time ;-).

> Leonid asked: And what if we got "500 Server error" responce, supplied
> with a nice "please contact a webmaster" page?  What about non http://
> schemes?  Any other ideas?

> I think the discussion of error=500 is hair-splitting now: one needs
> to run the new purging scheme for some time, *then* one can decide
> which action is more appropriate.  [On the other hand, one can just
> delegate the choice to the user via a .cfg setting.]

I guess Ilya Zakharevich want a workaround for the following configuration:
lynx runs on a standalone PC, without local proxy, with dial-up connection.

When dial-up went down and you try to revisit some link - you got a message
"could not connect to remote host" (or like) and the old copy of the
document _removed_ from the HText cache. The "no_cache" an "Expired" items
are also relevant here.

This is very different from the case when you talk to the proxy and
the proxy reply with "connection timed out" informational page;
or you receive a partial document and the transfer stalls.

I am more agree with Bela: we may need several copies of the document
(HText + HTParentAnchor), each with timestamp and status, and the ability to
select between them according to some rules (interactively and/or via .cfg).