Re: lynx-dev PATCH for ENABLE_RC

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev PATCH for ENABLE_RC
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 10:42:34 -0400

On Sat, Jun 14, 2003 at 10:24:20PM -0700, Doug Kaufman wrote:
> The following patch is submitted for discussion, rather than to fix
> a bug. The question I would like to bring up is what should be the
> appropriate default values for ENABLE_RC. When the "ENABLE_RC" section
> was added to lynx.cfg, there wasn't any discussion that I remember as
> to which settings should be ON by default. The current defaults don't
> match the information in the OPTIONS page (i.e. which ones have the
> "(!)", indicating that they are not saved). In addition, several items
> are saved to the lynxrc file which are not able to be set in the OPTIONS
> page. I believe that the proposed changes lead to a more functional
> lynx, with fewer unexpected behaviors.

There's two issues here:

        a) do the comments in lynx.cfg for ENABLE_RC reflect the actual
           defaults program behavior.

        b) have any of the defaults been altered without discussion.

I think the answer is that (a) perhaps, (b) not that I'm aware of.   The
reason for any differences, whether a/b is that originally lynx.cfg and
.lynxrc used different names for the same item.  I thought I'd found/merged
all of those with 2.8.4, but as you see from the change log, 1-2 were noticed
after that point.  (I'll study your patch - thanks).

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://invisible-island.net