Re: lynx-dev PATCH for ENABLE_RC

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev PATCH for ENABLE_RC
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 17:48:46 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 16 Jun 2003, Henry Nelson wrote:

> One more problem I have is the 130+KB size of the default lynx.cfg.  I'm
> not aware of another program that has anywhere near that size of a
> configuration file.  Is everyone on this list so dedicated to Lynx that
> they actually hand edit that monstrosity every time they re-install Lynx?

The difference is that lynx.cfg isn't just a configuration file;
it is also one of the main documentation files. The comments there
explain how lynx works more so than the user guide, although the two
are complementary. When I install a new version of lynx, I do a
"diff -u" between the two versions of lynx.cfg to see what has changed
and to decide which customizations I want to keep or alter. Then,
after editing lynx.cfg.dif, a simple
"patch -b --verbose lynx.cfg <lynx.cfg.dif" gets lynx.cfg to the way I
like. If you don't do this, you won't see the new options or what the
default values for them are.

You can make the lynx.cfg file a lot smaller by using sed to remove all
the lines that start with "#". Then you only have your customizations
left.
                          Doug
--
Doug Kaufman