lynx-dev Re: [BUG] Editing in unicode

From: Ilya Zakharevich
Subject: lynx-dev Re: [BUG] Editing in unicode
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 13:54:53 -0700

On Mon, Jun 30, 2003 at 06:33:00AM -0700, Ilya Zakharevich wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 30, 2003 at 06:15:45AM -0700, Ilya Zakharevich wrote:
> > Is it possible to use Lynx with utf-8 displays *at all*?  I go to
> > google, customize it to use Russian; reload the search page to get the
> > new display.
> >
> > Now select any word in xterm, and try to paste it into the search
>                      ^^^^^^^^^
>
>   I meant: suppose that lynx is running in `xterm -u8'; select any
>   Russian word shown in the "Russian" google search page.
>
> > field.  I get junk [empty squares].  [Something different (?!!!)
> > happens if I try to paste a word shown by lynx in a different page: I
> > get ######## instead of empty squares.]
>
> More details: the search field shows junk; but if I press Tab to go to
> the "Search" button (labeled in Russian, of course ;-), the search
> field becomes correct.  Now pressing the Search button activates a
> correct search.
>
> But now select the search term repeated on the *new* page (same word
> as before!); press Left to go back to the main search page.  Try
> pasting this word into the search field again.  I get #####.

While Thomas writes that this is "how it should be expected", I'm not
convinced.

  a) Did you note that the display of the edit field is wrong, but the
     "actual contents" (e.g., what the form sends) is correct?

  b) While pasting into a text input field shows junk, pasting into a
     the input field for `g' works fine (try it on the google site).

  c) How would you explain that ###s appear only on a "cross-page" pasting?

Yours,
Ilya