lynx-dev Wishlist: Javascript protocol and EXTERNAL

From: Morten Bo Johansen
Subject: lynx-dev Wishlist: Javascript protocol and EXTERNAL
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 18:14:26 +0200

No, no, I am not requesting javascript in Lynx, get your blood
pressure down, please ;-) but I would like to be able to call an
external program on a javascript link. Consider the following
link

 javascript: var PAWin=window.open('/TGD/tgdBreakingNewsDisplay/0,,4,00.html')

which is just a pop up window which in turn appends the contents
of the paranthesises to the basic URL of the host, in this case
http://www.timesonline.co.uk. So it would be easy to write a
small wrapper script that did just that and passed the modified
URL on to lynx via the EXTERAL feature -- but I can't do it now,
because typing '.' on the link does as little as typing enter on
it, i.e. nothing.

I suspect providing this opportunity wouldn't take a lot of
time? (if it requires source code changes at all, that is)

I have just started using a wrapper script for getting "printer
friendly" versions that I call via EXTERNAL. I would like to be
able to use it for these types of pop up windows also. To give
you an idea what I am talking about you can see it here,

  http://home20.inet.tele.dk/mortenbo/leanpage.sh

Morten

PS: I used a wrong address the first time I sent this. If it
surfaces twice, then apologies.

--
"The only way to get rid of temptation is to yield to it." (Oscar Wilde)