Re: lynx-dev Lynx no longer in Red Hat ?

From: Thomas E. Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx no longer in Red Hat ?
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 20:14:26 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003, Frédéric L. W. Meunier wrote:

> I was browsing the irssi mailing-list archives and found the
> following post from a Red Hat employee (well, he has a
> @redhat.com e-mail):
>
> http://www.dragoncat.net/lists/irssi-dev/2003-05/0002.html
>
> "lynx is no longer included in Red Hat Linux distributions. It
> has been superseded by links."
>
> Anyway, I don't know what he meant because 9.0 contains
> 2.8.5-11 and their current development tree 2.8.5-12.

I believe they're saying that it's not part of the base install.
I did notice that.

Speaking of links, that must produce some odd effects - the last
I knew, "links" was not aware of UTF-8, and Redhat 8/9 default
to UTF-8 locales.

irssi is another bad example - has hardcoded assumptions about things
that could be checked by looking in the termcap.  (irssi uses termcap
for some things, but not others).

--
T.E.Dickey <address@hidden>
http://invisible-island.net