Re: lynx-dev Lynx no longer in Red Hat ?

From: Thomas E. Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx no longer in Red Hat ?
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 05:22:43 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003, Frédéric L. W. Meunier wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Jul 2003, Thomas E. Dickey wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 16 Jul 2003, Frédéric L. W. Meunier wrote:
> >
> > > I was browsing the irssi mailing-list archives and found the
> > > following post from a Red Hat employee (well, he has a
> > > @redhat.com e-mail):
> > >
> > > http://www.dragoncat.net/lists/irssi-dev/2003-05/0002.html
> > >
> > > "lynx is no longer included in Red Hat Linux distributions. It
> > > has been superseded by links."
> > >
> > > Anyway, I don't know what he meant because 9.0 contains
> > > 2.8.5-11 and their current development tree 2.8.5-12.
> >
> > I believe they're saying that it's not part of the base install.
> > I did notice that.
>
> Indeed. Apparently since 7.2 (and without any notice ?). I
> found the following post from a Lynx user:

Redhat doesn't communicate with upstream developers (that's as politely
as I can think to put it - sometimes their bug reports state that the
issue was forwarded to upstream, but my experience on that is that it
was not actually done).

> I still think they could remove some bloat and readd Lynx. A
> lot of people still use Lynx or now both, but...

I don't have 9.0 at hand to check but 8.0 did have lynx on the
distribution - just was not installed in the base.  (No accounting
for taste - I did look at the 8.0 links and found it just as ugly
as the copies that I've compiled for myself).

--
T.E.Dickey <address@hidden>
http://invisible-island.net