Re: lynx-dev download options resend

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev download options resend
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2003 19:27:10 -0400

On Sun, Jul 20, 2003 at 05:51:04PM -0400, Stef Caunter wrote:
> There is no DOWNLOADER defined. The section is commented.
>
> Here is a trace file for a simple download request which
> gives the help link as default as described.
>
> I am not sure what would be of interest so here's the whole thing.

a little - are the lines with "FIXME" those that you added?  (I don't
see them in my source).  It looks as if you're doing

        lynx caunter.ca/crypto/gnupg-1.0.7.tar.gz

I don't recall noticing the help-link before, but see that's been there
a while.  Since it's the first link on the page, that may be why it's
the default.

Looking at the file-history, I can see that the reason it appeared is
an unexpected side-effect of this:

2003-06-01 (2.8.5dev.16)
* modify LYwouldPush(), omitting the download page from list of user-interface
  pages which should not be pushed onto the history stack when visiting another
  page, such as info or help.  Otherwise the downloaded file is discarded
  (report by BL) -TD

The relevant logic in BeginInternalPage() is

    if ((user_mode == NOVICE_MODE)
     && LYwouldPush(Title, NULL)
     && (HelpURL != 0)) {
        fprintf(fp0, "<h1>%s (%s%s%s), <a href=\"%s%s\">help</a></h1>\n",
                Title, LYNX_NAME, VERSION_SEGMENT, LYNX_VERSION,
                helpfilepath, HelpURL);
    } else {
        fprintf(fp0, "<h1>%s (%s%s%s)</h1>\n",
                Title, LYNX_NAME, VERSION_SEGMENT, LYNX_VERSION);
    }

So the help-link logic was there, but unused for a long time (for the
Download-page).  I guess it would be a nice improvement to make the
active link _not_ the help-link in this case (I'm not sure right now
what would have to be changed to accomplish this).

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://invisible-island.net