RE: lynx-dev

From: Kiffin Gish
Subject: RE: lynx-dev
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 09:53:58 +0200

No, I do not think you understand. Please allow me to explain myself
better and elaborate some more.

I was inspired by the DJ Delorie version of the Lynx Viewer at:
http://www.delorie.com/web/lynxview.html

I downloaded the latest version of Lynx, installed it on my site, and
compiled everything to create the executable. I coded by own version of
the lynxview.cgi script at:
http://www.gishteq.com/utl_tmode.html

The idea being to inspire potential customers how important it is to
design your web site with this in mind (hoping in the end that they hire
me as a professional consultant, of course).

What I do is via a CGI-script I run lynx to generate a dump file:

  ./lynx -cfg=./lynx.cfg -force_html -dump 'url' >results.txt

And then I show the results by presenting the contents of this results
file. Just try it to see better what I mean. Everything is enclosed
within <pre>-tags to make it readable.

The only problem is that by default all the hyperlinks are numbered
between brackets, and at the end there is a reference list.

I would prefer to have the hyperlinks as real clickable links instead,
and have no reference list at the end, just like at the Delorie site.
That is, rather than:

  [32]Another link

I would have:

  <a
href="http://mysite.com/cgi-bin/lynxview.cgi?url=another_link";>Another
link</a>

Is there another option to accomplish this or do I have to hack some of
the source files somewhere. If it is the latter, in which source files
do I have to make the changes?

Thanks in advance,
Kiffin

Kiffin Rex Gish