Re: lynx-dev Re: FORCE_SSL_PROMPT:NO

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: FORCE_SSL_PROMPT:NO
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 13:35:06 +0900 (JST)

> The result, using the method above (IE 5.0 tho), plus some other
> certs (netscape, mozilla, apache) is here:
> https://mirbsd.bsdadvocacy.org:8890/active/cvsweb.cgi/src/etc/ssl.certs.shar
>
> If you "install" that file, you can test it by connecting to the URL
> above again, as well as https://www.thawte.com/ for example.

Thorsten, I really appreciate your help here.  Okay, I got the latter site
"https://www.thawte.com/"; to work -- certificate found and accepted.  The
procedures used were those that Stef wrote up.  Basically I unpacked your
"ssl.certs.shar" file into the directory my private certs go into, and that
was it.  They were already "hashed" and ready to go.  I use the environment
variable SSL_CERT_DIR since that directory is not the standard default.

HOWEVER, I could not get "https://mirbsd.bsdadvocacy.org:8890/"; to work.
I get the "SSL error:host(mirbsd.bsdadvocacy.org:8890)!=cert(mirbsd.
sdadvocacy.org)-Cont[inue? (y)]" message.  I tried using both the set of
certificates in "ssl.certs.shar", and one constructed from "https://mirbsd.
bsdadvocacy.org:8890/ca.cer.asc".  Now, is this a problem with my procedures,
with the port "8890" that has been brought up before, or maybe something on
the server end?

I have absolutely no knowledge of what all this means so you'll have to
guide me the whole way.  (It would be nice to get a couple of working
examples for Lynx users.)

__Henry