Re: lynx-dev core dump (LYStoreCookies problem?)

From: Stef Caunter
Subject: Re: lynx-dev core dump (LYStoreCookies problem?)
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 00:02:39 -0400 (EDT)

No core on

Lynx Version 2.8.5dev.16 (01 Jun 2003)
libwww-FM 2.14, SSL-MM 1.4.1, OpenSSL 0.9.7-beta3
Built on openbsd3.3 Jul 13 2003 13:01:41

I did get the "cookie" error. Sometimes I have copied cookies into
.lynx_cookies from another browser if I think there really is an issue with
cookie files, but often a canned error script's blatherings about cookies or
"recent site redesigns" are red herrings and are unrelated to anything except
the site's unwillingness to give real information about errors. I have set up
this kind of thing for commercial sites. Because certain default error handling
on webservers can expose information about the server platform and
configuration, this is a standard practise.

(I actually don't know if this is a cookie problem or not for this specific
site. The trace file was 226K.)

pcfinancial.ca here in Canada had an especially stupid error page claiming
browser cookie handling was a problem whenever a login failed. espn.com sends
their 404 script for all errors AFAIK too. A remaining peeve of mine is the
"invalid cookie" accept keystroke for espn.go.com cookies (impossible to cure,
years of trying, sigh).

If you ask this reunion.com site for a non-existent page you'll get a nonsense
page sent about them "working hard to fix your account". I think the automating
of "saying the right thing" should be classified as spam.

--Stef
http://caunter.ca
<address@hidden>

11:26PM  up 5 days,  8:16, 1 user, load averages: 0.06, 0.07, 0.08
OpenBSD 3.3 i386 Intel Pentium Pro ("GenuineIntel" 686-class, 256KB L2 cache)