Re: lynx-dev Re: problem with lynx as newsreader (fwd)

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: problem with lynx as newsreader (fwd)
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 09:36:54 -0700 (PDT)

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003, Thomas Dickey wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 27, 2003 at 12:14:28AM -0700, Doug Kaufman wrote:
> > The following problem report regarding nntp support in lynx came from the
> > BLIND-L mailing list. It appears that the information from the
> > Message-ID line is not used to construct a correct URL, so the message
> > can't be retrieved. The HEAD command leads to a response:
> > 221 403831 <address@hidden>head
> >
> > The server needs to be sent: ARTICLE address@hidden
> > but gets sent instead: ARTICLE <address@hidden>
> >
> > The angle brackets cause the server to respond with "Bad Article
> > Number". I'll look to see if I can see where the problem with parsing
> > comes from. If anyone knows the news code well, it might be easier for
> > you to fix this.
>
> I can see the problem also (unlike most of the news-group stuff, this one
> doesn't require authentication to view).  Perhaps it's a simple bug (if
> it is, we can fix it ;-)

It seems that this may be a problem with the server. When I test
with other servers, the message id is enclosed in angle brackets and
everything goes OK.

In addition, on this server a LIST command shows only the one
newsgroup, but in lynx "nntp://email.sparklist.com"; shows several
groups on the screen other than jpsoft_support.
                                 Doug
--
Doug Kaufman
Internet: address@hidden