Re: lynx-dev url#name is treated the same as url for -dump

From: Ian Collier
Subject: Re: lynx-dev url#name is treated the same as url for -dump
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 13:51:45 +0100

On Sat, Sep 27, 2003 at 11:10:12AM +0900, Henry Nelson wrote:
[someone said:]
> > > lynx -dump -nolist file.html#name
> > > needs to cut off output up to #name.

> Please, no.  [If you are piping the output to some script: 1) there are
> better tools than Lynx for pulling documents off of the Web *non*-
> interactively, and 2) write the script so that IT skips down to #name
> to begin it's post-processing.]

> If I am incorrect, please someone with greater knowledge of html correct
> me.  Doesn't the "#name" refer to a fragment identifier, and doesn't that
> identifier only point to a *location* within a resource?  It does not refer
> to a resource.  If "lynx -dump -nolist file.html#name" only starts with
> content after the anchor "name", essentially you'll end up with garbage
> since you will have no knowledge of the resource itself, including the
> document type.

I disagree with the original request, but I don't think what you
have written here is correct.  The -dump flag prints the rendered
version of the document, so we no longer need such things as "document
type" because what we have is just plain text.  Also, the bookmarks
don't appear in the output so your suggestion #2 above can't be
implemented.

imc