lynx-dev Re: Clipboard via popen

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: lynx-dev Re: Clipboard via popen
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 00:51:41 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003, I wrote:

> In February of this year Ilya added support for copy-and-paste of
> URLs to a clipboard file on systems which have popen. I haven't been
> able to figure out what the "simple" commands are that would do
> this. Can someone give me an example of settings for RL_PASTE_CMD
> and RL_CLCOPY_CMD that might work on a unix or DOS system? This will
> probably be obvious once I see the examples.

Well, I finally found commands that will work on a DOS system, with a
DJGPP port of lynx. This was made difficult by the fact that the DOS
environment can never contain the "=" character (used as separator
internally in environment), and that standard utilities such as the
DOS "set" command can not put the ">" character in the environment.
There is a further problem in that the standard binding for LYE_PASTE,
^W, doesn't work in DOS with the standard lynx.cfg. I have no idea
why it doesn't. I got pasting to work by changing the keybinding in
LYEditmap.c for PASTE to ^Y. Alternatively the following line in
lynx.cfg allowed ^W to work, even though it seems to be duplicating
what is already in LYEditmap.c for the default binding:
KEYMAP:^W:PASTE:1

The following two environment variables work for me in DOS, either
plain DOS or a DOS window under Win98:
RL_CLCOPY_CMD=redir -e NUL -o path_to_clip_file/clipfile dd
RL_PASTE_CMD=cat path_to_clip_file/clipfile

These assume the DJGPP programs redir and dd in the path. The redir
command in RL_CLCOPY_CMD redirects stderr to NUL (= /dev/null),
and redirects stdout to the clipfile. dd takes stdin and passes it
unchanged to stdout.

The default keybinding of ^S for copying to the clipboard works
fine. Can anyone tell me why ^W doesn't work in DOS with the default
lynx.cfg? It works in the mingw port for pasting from the Windows
clipboard. I am using the default edit keybindings.

If there are simpler RL_CLCOPY_CMD formulations (preferably using
native DOS commands) I would appreciate it if someone would post them.
I suspect that most users of the DOS port have neither redir nor dd on
their systems.
                            Doug

--
Doug Kaufman