Re: lynx-dev gettext troubles

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev gettext troubles
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 10:19:46 +0900 (JST)

> > Makefile), but maybe you need to explicitly compile in the path
> > to your compiled catalogue file.  On Unix using the configure script,
> > that's done with the "--with-nls-datadir=" option.
> >                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > In your case "--with-nls-datadir=g:\MingW32\share".
>
> I created my own makefile (cause I could Configure to work with
> MingW).
>
> It seems gettext and friends requires a hardcoded compile-time
> GNULOCALEDIR  value. And no leading driveletter is allowed.

AFAIK (and I really don't care to waste more time studying), unless
you stick strictly to the default, you'll have to hardcode the prefix.

"no leading driveletter is allowed" just says that the gettext package
has not been ported to cygwin/ming, or it has been, but you don't have
that port installed on your system.

> > > 2. set $LYNX_LOCALEDIR=g:\MingW32\share\locale
> >
> > I don't know what this is.  If $LYNX_LOCALEDIR is what is set by
> > --with-nls-datadir, then try removing the final "\locale".
>
> This is AFAICS supposed to override the compile-time GNULOCALEDIR
> value (but failed to).

Right, I don't think there is any kind of environment variable to
"override" anything.  (This is unconfirmed.)  As I say above, you'll
probably have less problems if you just compile in the path _prefix_.

Did you actually try removing the "\locale" you had?  I think gettext
will look in $PREFIX/locale/$LANG/LC_MESSAGES.  AFAIK, from "/locale"
down is hardcoded, which makes me also wonder how it's going to do the
"\" <=> "/" conversion.  Anyway, if you have "g:\MingW32\share\locale"
defined as the prefix, gettext would look in "g:\MingW32\share\locale
\locale\da\LC_MESSAGES", i.e., "locale" would be duplicated.  ^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^
NLS is nice, so I would suggest one last try.  Three issues: the port,
hardcode (versus variable), prefix (not name).

__Henry