Re: lynx-dev Re: Segfault in latest lynx

From: henry
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: Segfault in latest lynx
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 09:19:16 +0900

On Mon, Nov 24, 2003 at 02:27:44PM -0800, Ilya Zakharevich wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 22, 2003 at 02:57:51PM -0800, Ilya Zakharevich wrote:
> > "unexpected network error" message on older lynxes, so
> > it should not be my fault.  ;-)  This is from "messages page" of older lynx:
> >
> >    24. Alert!: Unable to access document.
> >    23. Can't Access `http://www.cemi.rssi.ru/cyrtug/koi/news.htm'
> >    22. Alert!: Unexpected network read error; connection aborted.
> >    21. HTTP request sent; waiting for response.
> >    20. Sending HTTP request.
>
> An update on this: I still can't connect to this site.

I can't either, but AFAICT it's a problem with the site, not with Lynx.
Squid and Wget also bomb out with the error messages appended below.
The site doesn't seem to have any recovery mechanism in place because
Lynx can only flash status messages that it couldn't connect.  In some
ways, it would be nice if Lynx would create a page like Squid or Wget do,
rather than just status messages, since it would give the user some idea
about the problem with the site.

__Henry

error from Squid  -------------------------------------------------------

   While trying to retrieve the URL: [1][no URL]

   The following error was encountered:
     * Read Error

   The system returned:
    (131) Connection reset by peer

   An error condition occurred while reading data from the network.
   Please retry your request.

   Generated Mon, 24 Nov 2003 23:22:51 GMT by proxy1
   ([2]Squid/2.2.STABLE5)

--08:54:49--  http://www.cemi.rssi.ru:80/cyrtug/koi/news.htm
           => `www.cemi.rssi.ru/cyrtug/koi/news.htm'
Connecting to www.cemi.rssi.ru:80... connected!
HTTP request sent, awaiting response...
Read error (Connection reset by peer) in headers.