Re: lynx-dev Trouble accessing ftp site

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Trouble accessing ftp site
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 19:51:34 -0500

On Fri, Dec 26, 2003 at 01:43:24PM -0800, Doug Kaufman wrote:
> There is a ftp site that I am having trouble accessing using various
> builds of lynx on different operating systems. I can access individual
> files, but it fails to get a list of files in a directory. Looking
> at the packets sent from DOS, it appears that a ftp connection is
> made, but no list of files is generated. I can access the site with a
> standard interactive ftp client from unix, Windows, or DOS, and with
> Internet Explorer from Win98. It works OK when specifying a specific
> file, such as "ftp://ftp.oldskool.org/pub/tvdog/internet/README";,
> but fails with a directory such as "ftp://ftp.oldskool.org/pub";. The
> server identifies itself as "ProFTPD 1.2.5rc1", and a "SYST" command
> returns "215 UNIX type: L8".

Looking at the changelog for ProFTPD, it seems that these people started
testing it against the RFCs about 6 months after this version was released.
The workaround used in at least one other client is to reconnect when the
550 is received.  That's a possible solution.  Or (either way this is a
fair amount of work ;-), I could test 1.2.9 to see if the bug's been fixed.

As I read it, the 550 is incorrect - 553 should be returned.  The server
shouldn't get confused.  But that's only RFC959 (we've got those gnomes
making a nice mess ;-).

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://invisible-island.net