Re: lynx-dev README.ssl

From: Stef Caunter
Subject: Re: lynx-dev README.ssl
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 23:57:08 -0500 (EST)

This should be better:

SSL support for Lynx 2.8.5pre.1
-- adapted from http://www.mentovai.com/lynx/

Lynx, in its unmodified form, will not allow you to make secure socket layer
(SSL) connections.  SSL is used for the secure transfer of information over the
Internet.  Many sites are now requiring SSL to ensure security for themselves
and their users.  With a version of Lynx modified to support SSL, Lynx users
can now visit these sites with ease as well.

The SSL configure option (--with-ssl) for Lynx provides the ability to make use
of SSL over HTTP for secure access to web sites (HTTPS) and over NNTP for
secure access to news servers (SNEWS).  SSL is handled transparently, allowing
users to continue accessing web sites and news services from within Lynx
through the same interface for both secure and standard transfers.

This is based on, and requires, the OpenSSL library.  OpenSSL's distribution
and use may be restricted by licenses and laws.  For information on obtaining
OpenSSL, as well as information on its distribution, see
http://www.openssl.org/.  The main distribution site is at
ftp://ftp.openssl.org/source/.

Lynx also has experimental support for GnuTLS (configure option --with-gnutls).
For information on GnuTLS, see http://www.gnu.org/software/gnutls/.

To test your version of Lynx for SSL support, try it out with an SSL site.
Below are secure (https) pages which will load if your browser contains SSL
support and you accept their certificates; they give you some information about
the connection.

https://www.gnutls.org:5555/
https://www2.ggn.net/cgi-bin/ssl

Lynx will complain about the certificate, since the certificate presented is
untrusted.  You may accept this certificate to test your configuration, since
it is a test, but it is a bad idea to blindly accept certificates from unknown
websites if you are transmitting form data or files.

You should review the document README.sslcerts for a detailed discussion
of correct certificate handling possibilities and procedures in lynx.

Users are reminded to check the laws and regulations about encryption software
in their own countries.

Here is the URL for US notification rules:

http://www.bxa.doc.gov/Encryption/PubAvailEncSourceCodeNofify.html

Note that that isn't a typo; it really is "Nofify". The site contains
links to the full EAR regulations.

__Stef