Re: lynx-dev progress on pre.2

From: Frédéric L . W . Meunier
Subject: Re: lynx-dev progress on pre.2
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 15:28:04 -0200 (BRST)

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 address@hidden wrote:

> may i suggest a change in version numbering ?
>
> the 'dev' versions which have been produced during the past few years
> -- 2.8.5dev.1 ... 4 ... 5 ... 17 --
> correspond to what other projects would call eg
>    2.8.6 ... 9 ... 10 ... 22 .

> let's call the imminent version  2.9  rather than  2.8.5 ,

> then call what wb (in Lynx trad'n)  2.8.6dev.1  more simply  2.9.1 ;

And then most people will think 2.9.1 is a stable release.

And how would you call the pre versions ?

> occasionally, there mb a special bugfix version eg  2.9.5.1 .

2.9.5.1 ? A bugfix version with a higher number than a dev ?

> this shd result in distros like Gentoo updating their Lynxes
> more often.

I really doubt. It isn't the version numbering that prevents
them from updating it. Actually, nothing does. They could have
stable and unstable branches.

But maybe they'd update it more often if the releases didn't
took ages. 2.8.5 will take almost 3 years :-)

Why not accept new features and major changes for 6 or 8 months
(dev), then only bugfixes for the other 6 or 4 (pre), and do a
release ?

Not a problem for me as I compile all versions, but most people
don't, and the distributions don't seem to use dev and pre.

--
http://www.pervalidus.net/contact.html