Re: lynx-dev progress on pre.2

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev progress on pre.2
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 12:48:43 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004, [ISO-8859-1] Fr?d?ric L. W. Meunier wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 address@hidden wrote:
>
> > occasionally, there mb a special bugfix version eg  2.9.5.1 .
>
> 2.9.5.1 ? A bugfix version with a higher number than a dev ?

I don't know who would do the work to maintain bug-fix versions.

> > this shd result in distros like Gentoo updating their Lynxes
> > more often.
>
> I really doubt. It isn't the version numbering that prevents
> them from updating it. Actually, nothing does. They could have
> stable and unstable branches.

Generally I look at the changelogs to decide if something is really
stable or unstable.  Rule of thumb:

        Look at the changelog, see if there are no recent fixes which
        might affect you.

        Changelogs without dates indicate poor management.

        Changelogs without explanations of the change indicate poor
        development standards.

> Not a problem for me as I compile all versions, but most people
> don't, and the distributions don't seem to use dev and pre.

Many packagers are confused by almost any version scheme which I use.
But I suspect that is because they don't read the release notes or
changelogs.  dev/pre/rel markers aren't _that_ hard to understand
(and they sort in proper order ;-)

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net