lynx-dev Problem with Cygwin port under bash shell

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: lynx-dev Problem with Cygwin port under bash shell
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 01:46:49 -0800 (PST)

I compiled the 2.8.5pre.3 code under Cygwin as a static binary using
ncurses 5.3(20030809 patch) and OpenSSL 0.9.7-stable and noted a few
problems.

1. When running in a Cygwin bash shell, after I quit lynx no typed
characters echo to the screen. I have to run "stty sane" to fix this.
This isn't a problem when running under COMMAND.COM. This is all in
Win98, using cygwin1.dll version 1.5.5, and with CYGWIN set to
"binmode tty codepage:oem". Is this a ncurses problem or a Cygwin
problem? After lynx quits the stty changes seem to be: -icrnl -onlcr
-icanon -echo.

2. The binary compiled as if "CAN_CUT_AND_PASTE" was not defined, even
though HAVE_POPEN was defined in lynx_cfg.h. If I moved the
"#include <www_tcp.h>" to near the top of the HTUtils.h file, then it
compiled with "CAN_CUT_AND_PASTE". I presume that this is because WIN_EX
was then defined while HTUtils.h is being evaluated. Does this imply
that the lynx_cfg.h file is not being included and that I either need
to change the line in HTUtils.h to '#include "lynx_cfg.h"' instead of
"#include <lynx_cfg.h>" or add a "-I." to the CPPFLAGS?

3. The default value for "TO_CLIPBOARD" is ^S, which doesn't work
because ^S is the stty stop character. Changing the stop character
allows ^S to be the "TO_CLIPBOARD" trigger in lynx. Note that in Cygwin,
^S doesn't work as "TO_CLIPBOARD", but ^W does work for "PASTE". In
the DJGPP port, ^S works fine as "TO_CLIPBOARD", but ^W does not work
for paste (I am not sure why). I wonder if we should pick different
defaults that would work across platforms. There aren't many keys left
unassigned. For my own machine, I make KEYMAPS of "W" as "TO_CLIPBOARD"
and "^Y" as "PASTE".
                         Doug

--
Doug Kaufman