Re: lynx-dev Re: Another TagSoup problem

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: Another TagSoup problem
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 23:06:55 +0900

On Tue, Feb 03, 2004 at 08:30:46AM -0500, address@hidden wrote:
>  Tagsoup sb the default.

This has been discussed before.  Perhaps we could move to a configure
option so that a default can be chosen at compile time.

At one time, TagSoup was the only parser.  Not sure when SortaSGML
won out.  (Sure was a good choice, though! :)

> also, IZ is correct re the case of the spurious  </a> .

Doesn't TagSoup mode render that snippet correctly for you?  It does
for me.  Maybe some other setting is conflicting?

> Lynx has a definite, but very limited, place in today's software world,
> not least for browsing local help dox, but it will have none at all,
> if it insists on adhering rigidly to the standards of 1995 .

Lynx has two parsers.  AFAIK, there is no other browser around that has
that ability.  A comment like Lynx "insists on adhering rigidly to the
standards of 1995" means nothing to me.  Those "standards of 1995" are
the standards of 2004, too.  If you have to have error recovery then please
use TagSoup mode!  (And make it your default by editing lynx.cfg.)

--
__Henry

  "Using Lynx is like wearing a really good pair of shades: cuts out
   the glare and harmful UV (ultra-vanity), and you feel so-o-o COOL."
                                         -- me, March 1999