Re: mailing-list problem (Was Re: lynx-dev What happened to MINGW patch?

From: Frédéric L . W . Meunier
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 20:21:18 -0200

On Wed, 4 Feb 2004, Doug Kaufman wrote:

> On Wed, 4 Feb 2004, Frédéric L. W. Meunier wrote:
>
> > I also noticed it's the second in the last days that a reply I
> > send doesn't go through. The first time I tried resending it a
> > few times and it didn't help. Then I replied to another
> > message, and, guess what, it worked.
> >
> > This time I also tried sending using a local MTA with no luck.
> >
> > Too bad nobody has any control over the mailing-lists. Another
> > reason to consider switching :-)
>
> But there are some things that we know and can control. The lynx-dev
> list only accepts contributions from addresses of list members or
> addresses on lynx-dev-contrib. If you try to send from an address other
> that the one where you get mail from the list, it will be rejected. If you
> have more than one address from which you might want to post, then you
> need to subscribe that address to lynx-dev-contrib.

Yes, but it wasn't the problem. I'm currently subscribed to
lynx-dev-contrib and sent using my lists1 address. I read the
messages through Gmane's NNTP, though I don't send them through
Gmane. It's just a way to not have to do an ugly cut and paste
from the archives.

Here's the last I sent using the local MTA. All others are sent
through Bluebottle's SMTP. Yes, I removed the @.

2004-02-04 17:20:05 HSKR1H-0001ES-ES <= lists1pervalidus.net H=(localhost)
[127.0.0.1] P=esmtp S=1473 address@hidden
2004-02-04 17:20:11 HSKR1H-0001ES-ES => lynx-devsig.net R=dnslookup
T=remote_smtp H=mx1.veriomail.com [129.250.36.59]
2004-02-04 17:20:11 HSKR1H-0001ES-ES Completed

> Supposedly, if you are not a member of lynx-dev, attempted posts to
> lynx-dev will be reviewed and forwarded to the list if appropriate.
> I don't know, however, who is taking the time to wade through all
> the spam to find an occasional legitimate post from a non-member. I
> suspect that most of them are getting lost.

Yes, years ago someone was forwarding them (quoted, instead of
just redirecting them), but it doesn't seem to happen anymore.
Last times I sent an e-mail with a wrong address they never
appeared. And frankly, they could at least send back an e-mail
about the list being moderated, what Mailman does by default.

We can do all the above if we move.

--
How to contact me - http://www.pervalidus.net/contact.html