Re: lynx-dev Agreement, opinions about the move ? (Was Re: mailing-list

From: Thomas Dickey
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2004 07:23:49 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 7 Feb 2004, [ISO-8859-1] Fr?d?ric L. W. Meunier wrote:

> On Thu, 5 Feb 2004, SP-BEI wrote:
>
> > I'll go with whatever the Lynx community wants to do.  If the
> > decision is to move the list elsewhere, I'll offer what help
> > that I can in keeping the address@hidden alive for as long
> > as possible.  Of course the list is just part of the support
> > issue here.  Maintaining the list and source archives might
> > also be a goal.  I was waiting for someone to step up for
> > that after the non-Gnu project page was created.
>
> So, do we have an agreement ? And maybe you Bob can be the
> third administrator / moderator ?
>
> I can't do anything without you.
>
> What I proposed:

That's fine with me.  How do we move forward?

> Yes, we could just add the 140+ automatically, but we don't
> know how many are still "valid".

We'll be able to tell once it's moved by looking at bounces.

> Or we can. Opinions ?
>
> 5- Contact the lynx-dev-contrib subscribers and ask if they
> want to be added in a list of addresses that can only post.

sounds fine.

> 6- If someone tries to subscribe to the old lynx-dev and
> lynx-dev-contrib, send them a message about the move.
>
> The same could be made for messages from non subscribers. But
> then you'd probably send hundreds of e-mails back to spammers.

I'm assuming that it'll be filtered like the ncurses list (so
there's the choice of simply discarding spam).

> 7- Remove the spam from the FLORA.org archives. I already did
> it for 2000-January 2004 (thanks to Pine), and really don't
> think there was any before it. Well, there was one in December
> 1999, but that's probably all. A spam (probably from a
> subscriber) in thousands of messages isn't that bad. 90% or
> more was.

I'm told that the "real" archives aren't in mbox form, but as
a database.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net