Re: lynx-dev Possible bug report - content type

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Possible bug report - content type
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 10:19:01 +0900

On Tue, Feb 10, 2004 at 07:55:06AM -0800, Doug Kaufman wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Feb 2004, Henry Nelson wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 10, 2004 at 12:04:23AM -0800, Doug Kaufman wrote:
> > > recovery. I tried to go to "http://sourceforge.jp/projects/lha/";, but

This document has (as you posted earlier):
  `` <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=EUC-JP"> ''
Lynx honors the content and charset declarations in a meta tag.  The server
also sends a charset declaration in the header, which Lynx honors:
(I _think_ the server declaration has precedence, but I'm not sure.)

> mode or toggling into CJK mode doesn't change anything. If I set the
> display character set to euc-jp, shift-jis, or transparent, then
> it displays OK (like other Japanese web pages). For example, I can

AFAIK, Lynx's chartrans code was written such that this is "expected"
behavior.  I once discussed this aspect of Lynx with Klaus a number of
years ago.  Unfortunately my brain power wouldn't let me keep up with
him.  I do recall both of us testing this very problem of honoring or
ignoring the meta tag in relation to the 3 Japanese encodings commonly
used in web pages, and it definitely was an advantage to have Lynx honor
the tag.  "Advantage" means no/less "mojibake" or distortion of characters.

> display the following page without problems with my usual settings
> (display charset=cp437):
> "http://www2m.biglobe.ne.jp/~dolphin/lha/lha.htm";

This page does not have a charset declaration, neither within the
document as a meta tag, nor from the server.  The server only states

> That site has content type "text/html". I think that the charset
> appended to the content-type is causing the problem.

Yes, I think it is fairly certain that Lynx is acting on the charset
declaration.  From my perspective, I wouldn't call it a "problem", but
rather a feature.  Leonid is the man to talk to, though.

__Henry