Re: mailing-list problem (Was Re: lynx-dev What happened to MINGW patch?

From: Henry Nelson
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 10:10:55 +0900

On Thu, Feb 05, 2004 at 12:29:18PM +0900, Henry Nelson wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 04, 2004 at 08:05:02PM -0200, Frédéric L. W. Meunier wrote:

Are we seeing progress towards the "new" list?  (Getting desperate since
the school threatens to kick me off the lan today.  I'm going to let them
physically pull the plug, though.  Should take them most of today to
locate the machine. :)

> Are people having trouble subscribing?  Please try one more time:
>
>    address your mail to: "address@hidden"
>    put one single command in the body of the mail: "subscribe lynx-dev"

Yes, we are indeed having trouble!  Tried what you [me] told me to do,
but...

> If your connection is any good, within seconds you should get a
> confirmation e-mail which will ask you to authorize the subscription.

Well, my "connection" is as good as it's going to get, and I do get a
quick response, except that it tells me I can't subscribe:

   has been forwarded to the owner of the "lynx-dev" list for approval.
   This could be for any of several reasons:
   [... snipped ...]
   When the list owner approves your request, you will be notified.

> If you are not willing to subscribe, then you're going to have to expect
> delays.  Please subscribe as it saves a human being countless hours of

I am willing to subscribe, but I have circumstances that won't let me
wait more than the 2 1/2 days it's been.  Isn't there some way people
who [pretty much have to] mail via a relay smtp could get an automatic
authorization to subscribe without opening the floodgates to spam?
(Maybe put the authorization key inside of a .jpg or .gif file?)

--
__Henry

  "Using Lynx is like wearing a really good pair of shades: cuts out
   the glare and harmful UV (ultra-vanity), and you feel so-o-o COOL."
                                         -- me, March 1999