Re: lynx-dev OT: ncurses for MingW

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev OT: ncurses for MingW
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 09:47:10 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004, Gisle Vanem wrote:

> This is a bit off-topic and is really a question for Thomas.
>
> I have a program that I'd like to port to MingW. Only problem is
> that it makes heavy use of ncurses and it's forms, fields and menus.
> I've built PD-curses and S-Lang with MingW but it lacks a lot of
> ncurses functions.

for example?

> So has anybody been able to built ncurses with MingW (if possible
> at all)? Any chance I could use PD-curses or S-Lang to replace all the
> low-level Unix terminal stuff?

PDCurses "should" work.  It does have a panel library.  For ncurses's
form/menu libraries - I'm not sure how much work it would be to make
them run with PDCurses.

> AFAICS, if I'd port ncurses using S-Lang I need to replace writing of the
> ESC sequences with S-Lang functions. Any other foreseeable problems
> I should be aware of? Is this a futile task?

That's futile - John Davis chose to make the binding incompatible with
existing termcap stuff.  I recall looking at that a while back to see
if I could build tin with the termcap-level stuff (which essentially
is most of slang's terminal interface), but there were a number of
dummy-ed out definitions.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net