Re: [Lynx-dev] Re: failed to visit google

From: Serge Munhoven
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Re: failed to visit google
Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 20:27:55 +0200

Hi,

Inspiring from your trace, I hand-crafted requests and submitted them
with netcat6 [1] to host 64.233.167.104 on port 80.  My diagnose would be
that there is a very weird buffer-overflow in Google's server with
regard to "Accept:" headers.  Depending on the number of "Accept:" headers
and their size, the request fails (400) or succeeds (302 in my case:
redicrection to google.be). E.g., the following:

GET / HTTP/1.0
Host: www.google.com
Accept: text/html
Accept: text/html
Accept: text/html
Accept: text/html
Accept: text/html
Accept: text/html
Accept: text/html
Accept: text/html
Accept: text/html
Accept: text/html
Accept: text/html
Accept: text/html
Accept: text/html
Accept: text/html
Accept: text/html
Accept: text/html
Accept: text/html
Accept: text/html
Accept: text/html
Accept: text/html
Accept: text/html
Accept: text/html
Accept: text/html
Accept: text/html
Accept: text/html
Accept: text/html
Accept: text/html
Accept: text/html
Accept: text/html
Accept: text/html
Accept: text/html
Accept: text/html
Accept: text/html
Accept: text/html
Accept: text/html
Accept:
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

is OK.  But if you add a character on any line or append another "Accept:" line
(even an empty one!), you'll get a 400-Bad-request.  The actual contents
does not seem to matter.  For instance, replacing some or all of the x's
by "text/html, text/html, ..." yields the same result.
I've got variants with more "text/html"'s per line, requiring more or less long
last line.  E.g:

GET / HTTP/1.0
Host: www.google.com
Accept: text/html, text/html, text/html, text/html
Accept: text/html, text/html, text/html, text/html
Accept: text/html, text/html, text/html, text/html
Accept: text/html, text/html, text/html, text/html
Accept: text/html, text/html, text/html, text/html
Accept: text/html, text/html, text/html, text/html
Accept: text/html, text/html, text/html, text/html
Accept: text/html, text/html, text/html, text/html
Accept: text/html, text/html, text/html, text/html
Accept: text/html, text/html, text/html, text/html
Accept: text/html, text/html, text/html, text/html
Accept: text/html, text/html, text/html, text/html
Accept: text/html, text/html, text/html, text/html
Accept: text/html, text/html, text/html, text/html
Accept: text/html, text/html, text/html, text/html
Accept: text/html, text/html, text/html, text/html
Accept: text/html, text/html, text/html, text/html
Accept: text/html, text/html, text/html, text/html
Accept: xxxxxx

I dont understand exactly what overflows when. (Cf. a similar problem discussed
in August 2002 on this list: e.g, http://www.sysinternals.com server returned
a 406 when the "Accept:"-headers totalized more than 256 characters - but this
was an IIS; isn't google supposed to use Linux ? :).

Conclusion: I don't really see how lynx should handle this differently.
Maybe check how other browsers handle a lot of mimetypes ?

Possible workaround: simplify your ~/.mailcap (e.g. merge subtypes into
"image/*", "video/*", "audio/*").  Anyway, you could try to temporarily
rename your ~/.mailcap (and maybe its system-wide equivalent) and try to
access goggle to confirm that this is indeed the issue.

Regards,

 - Serge

[1] http://netcat6.sourceforge.net/

[...]