[Lynx-dev] Re: lynx-dev a problem of Japanese with 2.8.5pre.5 compiled w

From: patakuti
Subject: [Lynx-dev] Re: lynx-dev a problem of Japanese with 2.8.5pre.5 compiled withncursesw
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 22:38:34 +0900 (JST)

From: Atsuhito KOHDA <address@hidden>
Subject: Re: lynx-dev a problem of Japanese with 2.8.5pre.5 compiled
 withncursesw
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 17:17:02 +0900 (JST)

> From: address@hidden
> Subject: Re: lynx-dev a problem of Japanese with 2.8.5pre.5 compiled
> withncursesw
> Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 00:27:18 +0900 (JST)
>
> > In deed, I have a patch (*) which makes Lynx be able to convert
> > Japanese text encoded UTF-8 to EUC-JP and Shift_JIS.  But I'm not sure
> > it's best solution of this problem, because it uses iconv and Lynx
> > already seems to have translation tables except CJK and in some
> > environment we may not be able to use iconv.
>
> Soory for very very delaied response and I'm afraid
> I didn't understand you intention correctly.
>
> I tested the above patch with my Debian GNU/Linux system
> but I couldn't see any improvement ;-)

Please try again using libiconv instead of glibc's iconv.
I recalled that I received a report (*) that the patch doesn't work as
expected with glibc's iconv.

  (*) http://www.t3.rim.or.jp/~patakuti/lynx/bbs/past9.html#165 (Japanese)

> > On the other hand, Lynx doesn't have a translation table from Japanese
> > part of UTF-8 to EUC-JP nor Shift_JIS also.  It's bad because we have
> > to change screen setting (ex: from EUC-JP to UTF-8) to read Japanese
> > pages encoded UTF-8, which is increasing in these days.
>
> Does the above sentence mean that with the patched lynx
> we could see text of UTF-8 on a kterm (or similar terminal)?

Yes.

> What settings would be assumed for CHARACTER_SET and
> PREFERERRED_LANGUAGE etc. if so?

Please set up CHARACTER_SET as Japanese(EUC-JP) (or
Japanese(Shift_JIS)), and assume_charset as iso-8859-1.  If the patch
works as expcted, you can view the Japanese page encoded in UTF-8
(ex: http://yamaguch.sytes.net/~tora/) correctly with patched Lynx.

If you have machines on which MS-Windows is working, you can also test
Japanese optimized binary from
http://www.t3.rim.or.jp/~patakuti/lynx/distribute/index.html.
--
Takeshi Hataguchi