Re: [Lynx-dev] Re: lynx-dev a problem of Japanese with 2.8.5pre.5compile

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Re: lynx-dev a problem of Japanese with 2.8.5pre.5compiled withncursesw
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 07:03:38 +0900

On Thu, May 13, 2004 at 12:47:02AM +0900, address@hidden wrote:
> More specifically, my patch let Lynx translate UTF-8 into Japanese
> encodings using iconv but translate UTF-8 into other encodings using
> included tables.

Not so bad.  It may encourage others to help to make a move toward
replacing chartrans with iconv.  (Is it only Japanese, or all of CJK?)

>  Having big table, which includes between UTF-8 and
> Japanese, might be better than that.

Don't know.  Wouldn't this risk making Lynx sluggish on minimal resource
machines?  Do you have an estimate on the size of the table required?

> Or having no table and using
> iconv for all translation might be better (though it may need big
> change)...

Ideal.  Other(s) have asked for it in the past.  BUT, like you say it
would be a huge project to ifdef all of chartrans.

> And there's one more problem that we may not be able to use iconv in
> all environment.

Well, on unix at least it seems to be pretty easy to install libiconv
these days.  (At first I had reservations about iconv, but having used
Mutt now for about a year, I'm convinced it's a viable solution.  BTW,
Japanized Mutt development team has no problem with using iconv.  People
around the world seem to be pretty happy with Mutt's internationalization
and handling of charsets.)

> However, I think it's not so bad idea to introduce a new configure
> option like --enable-exp-JapaneseUTF8-support.

I agree.  It's up to Tom I guess on how to proceed.  Hope it works out.
(I'd like to try it, but hardly have enough time to keep up with lynx-dev
let alone trying to test another source tree.)

__Henry

  "Using Lynx is like wearing a really good pair of shades: cuts out
   the glare and harmful UV (ultra-vanity), and you feel so-o-o COOL."
                                         -- me, March 1999