Re: [Lynx-dev] FreeBSD4.9/term=xterm/ncurses/putty - display problem

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] FreeBSD4.9/term=xterm/ncurses/putty - display problem
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 06:06:16 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 21 May 2004, Leonid Pauzner wrote:

> 20-May-2004 17:26 Thomas Dickey wrote:
> > On Thu, 20 May 2004, Leonid Pauzner wrote:
>
> >> Hi!
> >>
> >> I run into the following problem.
> >>
> >> A fresh FreeBSD 4.9 system installed from CD,
> >> it is accessed via PuTTY terminal emulator.
> >> Lynx 2.8.5rel is compiled with the default library (ncurses).
>
> > and complicating the problem is that FreeBSD uses their termcap entries
> > in preference to ncurses' terminfo.   (Their termcap file has many
> > errors).
>
> Yes, I was feeling the problem came from the wrong termcap/terminfo,
> but never change database from the distribution' default:((
>

> >> When running lynx I see the wrong picture:
> >> text and links are shown on a white background (OK),
> >> while the trailing spases on each line are shown in black !!!
> >> It is with the default term=xterm environment.
>
> > Trailing spaces in the wrong color are usually because the terminfo (or
> > termcap) doesn't match the terminal's characteristics.
>
> Another glitch I was seeing numerous times on different RedHat distributions
> with other terminals is not clearing the trailing spaces (= some garbage
> from the previous page is displayed in place of trailing spaces).
> Refresh with ^W fix the visual output, which is overkill.

Redhat also sets "xterm" to be the same as xterm-xfree86 (so a similar
problem would happen).  They go a little further, and modify that to
accommodate some of the numerous bugs in gnome-terminal.  (I have in
mind a recent bug report that indicates gnome-terminal doesn't scroll
correctly).

> Having in mind the numerous broken distributions around, is it possible
> to implement a "safe" mode in lynx to write trailing spaces explicitely
> on any terminal?  (Perhaps twice slower but always visually correct)

perhaps (I know that for ncurses, it is possible to override pieces of
a terminfo at runtime; I don't know if it is more portable than that).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net