Re: [Lynx-dev] Japanese letters vanish sometimes

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Japanese letters vanish sometimes
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 15:31:29 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 8 Jun 2004, Thorsten Glaser wrote:

> Dixitur illum address@hidden scribere...
>
> >> http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/src/lib/libcurses/
> >
> >I'm familiar with the webpage.  But how does a 3-year-old version of
> >ncurses help with UTF-8?  (I recall reading a comment via google that
> >they might update it after the next major release ;-)
>
> We have neither a recent ncurses, nor utf-8 support at all.
> That's all I was going to point out. (Yes, you might call
> it whine :) All I want is a way to make an OS utf-8 capable
> without NLS or LOCALE or I18N support...)

It takes time.  iirc, Linux got to the usable point with locale support in
2000 (the preceding 2-3 years delivered vaporware).  FreeBSD got there
late last year (again, after delivering vaporware for the preceding couple
of years).  I'm not sure what phase OpenBSD is at - certainly not at the
usable point.

> My primary testing site is, by the way,
> http://www.animelab.com/anime.manga/dictionary/
>
> (I'm trying to learn a bit Japanese, because it helps if you
>  watch Anime or read Manga, even these which are translated.)

I'm just trying to fix bugs fast enough that I'm not distracted from
ongoing development...

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net