Re: [Lynx-dev] Unicode display problem

From: purslow
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Unicode display problem
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 20:49:47 -0400

040628 Thomas Dickey wrote:
> If you don't have a  /usr/lib/libncursesw.so
>                                         ^
> then lynx can only use the 8-bit characters for UTF-8.
> If Gentoo doesn't have that,

no, it doesn't.

> it's ok to compile ncurses and install that, e.g.,
>       configure --enable-widec --with-shared --disable-overwrite
>       make
>       make install.libs

before i do this, (1) can i install my non-Gentoo Ncurses in  /usr/local ?
(2) if so, do i have to do anything special to have the  .so  file found ?
(3) if not, can i simply copy the  1  file above to  /usr/lib ?
(4) then do i have to do anything special to get it found ?

Gentoo is excellent, but i'm reluctant to interfere w its lib system.
anything i compile myself (eg Lynx) goes in  /usr/local .