Re: [Lynx-dev] Japanese (JIS, EUC, Shift-JIS), uxterm

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Japanese (JIS, EUC, Shift-JIS), uxterm
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 19:53:10 +0900

On Sun, Jul 11, 2004 at 12:17:04PM +0000, Thorsten Glaser wrote:
> >> Also, the pages at http://linear.mv.com/cgi-bin/j-e (which is this
> >> dictionary) don't seem to have the header.
> >
> >When I download the page and then view it in nvi, I see:
> >   <META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
> >
> >   <HEAD>
> >   <title>Jeffrey's Japanese&lt;-&gt;English Dictionary -
> > Gateway</title></head>
>
> That must be a bug on your side.

There were only two programs involved, lynx and nvi.  You can discount
nvi since I get the same result with "head" and "most".  I have never
heard of lynx adding such a line.

> address@hidden:/home/tg $ nc linear.mv.com 80
> GET /cgi-bin/j-e HTTP/1.1
> Host: linear.mv.com

Please download the file and save it to disk.  "nc" is striping the
invalid meta tag.

>      * with JIS support: [14]graphical or [15]text-only.

No charset meta.  (AFAICT, the Japanese is actually in the euc-jp
character set, not 7bit jis.)

>      * with EUC support: [16]graphical or [17]text-only.

     <META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=x-euc-jp">

     <HEAD>
     <TITLE>Japanese &lt;-&gt; English Dictionary Server</TITLE></HEAD>

The charset meta comes before the <head> section.  "x-euc-jp" is obsolete;
should be "euc-jp".  There is no <html> directive.  The doc type is not
identified.

>      * with Shift-JIS support: [18]graphical or [19]text-only.

     <META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=x-sjis">

     <HEAD>
     <TITLE>Japanese &lt;-&gt; English Dictionary Server</TITLE></HEAD>

Same problems as the "with EUC support" page.  "x-sjis" should be "shift-
jis" (I think -- never use it myself.)

> Neither 15, nor 17, nor 19 works correctly. Sorry for being unclear.

Lynx 2.8.5rel.1 renders the Japanese on all three pages correctly.

Maybe check again that your Display Character Set is "Japanese (EUC-JP)"
or "Japanese (Shift_JIS)" and that your terminal is set to accept the
encoding you have chosen for your display.

General comment:  Those pages are like dinosaurs of the past.  I haven't
had a need to offer a jis page, or prefix euc-jp with x-, since 1997 or
so.  That stuff was aimed at 2.x versions of Netscape and pre-4.0 MSIE.
Roughly speaking Windows3.1 vintage or the very first releases of Windows95.
Properly labeled, any one of those pages would work with any browser
worth supporting.

> Currently blocking eMail from the following domains: bigpond.com, biz, gmx.de,
> gmx.net, hotmail.com, info, jumpy.it, libero.it, name, netscape.net,
> postino.it, simplesnet.pt, spymac.com, tatanova.com, tiscali.co.uk,
> tiscali.cz, tiscali.de, tiscali.it, voila.fr, yahoo.co.uk, yahoo.com.

You ought to see my list, 700+.

__Henry

  "Using Lynx is like wearing a really good pair of shades: cuts out
   the glare and harmful UV (ultra-vanity), and you feel so-o-o COOL."
                                         -- me, March 1999