Re: [Lynx-dev] altering connect time-out value

From: purslow
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] altering connect time-out value
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2004 19:15:10 -0400

040731 Thomas Dickey wrote:
>  /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_syn_retries is something you can look inside
> and see if your TCP settings are tuned the way I was reading.
> If I peek inside mine, it shows a "5".

yes, that's what mine shows.  Gentoo is usually eminently sensible.

the problem is definitely DNS look-ups, which cb v slow for some minutes:
once the name has been resolved, there is no delay at the actual sites.

i'm about to go to bed, but will re-read your msg tomorrow early
(yes, i sleep to a crazy schedule ... (smile)).