Re: [Lynx-dev] can Lynx be used today ?

From: Thorsten Glaser
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] can Lynx be used today ?
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 13:01:23 +0000

Dixitur illum address@hidden scribere...

>Can a text-based web browser like Lynx really be used in 2004 with web
>sites powered by Javascript, XML, ASP and the like ?

Yes.

I'm using lynx even with pictured pages, and links+ for all
cases where it's really needed. There are only two pages
which don't work with these browsers, that's orkut and the
online banking system of one of my two banks.

Most "modern" people "use" the web for viewing "pages" of
multi-media content; however, a few still know that HTML
is no design language, and don't need to parse flash and
whatnot. We use the web primarily for looking at news
(such as slashdot.org or symlink.lu) or for content (text,
that is). Lynx is perfectly good, and reading the XHTML 2
draft I think there are in fact two "web"s, barely compa-
tible to each other. Luckily, most pages interesting to us
are still in the original www.

//Thorsten
--
Currently blocking eMail from the following domains: bigpond.com, biz, gmx.de,
gmx.net, hotmail.com, info, jumpy.it, libero.it, name, netscape.net,