Re: Re: [Lynx-dev] can Lynx be used today ? (fwd)

From: Petr Baudis
Subject: Re: Re: [Lynx-dev] can Lynx be used today ? (fwd)
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2004 01:28:50 +0200

Dear diary, on Mon, Sep 13, 2004 at 01:12:32AM CEST, I got a letter,
where address@hidden told me, that...
> it seems v unlikely that anyone now will take the trouble
> to write the code to allow Lynx to handle JS etc, but one never knows ...

FYI, that does not need to be all that painful as it looks. If you set
out to handle just window.location, window.open(), forms item access and
such tiny stuff, it will suffice for vast majority of JS sites and that
shouldn't be too hard unless lynx's internals aren't really nasty ;-).
The rest of the task is integrating some JS runtime engine - I'd
recommend Mozilla's SpiderMonkey, which is quite easy to get along with
in C programs and seems to be moderately usable compared to i.e. njs.
You can also peek into latest ELinks code if you would like some
kick-start, we already tried to do something.

Kind regards,

--
                                Petr "Pasky" Baudis
Stuff: http://pasky.or.cz/