Re: [Lynx-dev] progress/status

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] progress/status
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 12:01:35 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 6 Oct 2004, Thorsten Glaser wrote:

> address@hidden dixit:
>
> >Does this screenshot mean that dev.6 will be able to show euc-jp
> >(or Shift_JIS) page correctly on UTF-8 terminal?
>
> I hope for that, too.
>
> There's just a problem:
>
> strlen(s) != number_of_characters_in(s) != width_of(s)

yes - but lynx has its own functions which try to do this.  For 8-bit
curses, it does several workarounds (but those cannot completely work,
since they attempt to fool the curses library into doing something it
cannot do completely - repainting is always a problem).

In the changes I've made, I'm using the curses library to decide how
many cells on the screen the string will actually use.  lynx has to
construct the string (and as noted, will have to use libiconv to handle
shift-JIS, etc).  Since all of the strings passed to the curses library
are printable, it is doing the conversions to decide which characters
occupy 1 or 2 (or more) cells on the screen.

I'll update the snapshot patch in ftp://invisible-island.net/temp
when I get past the 2 remaining issues I've noticed, have a few other
fixes/patches promised for the next regular patch.