Re: [Lynx-dev] real woes: lynx2.8.6dev.7, OR ncursesw, OR japanese-utf8

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] real woes: lynx2.8.6dev.7, OR ncursesw, OR japanese-utf8
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 06:32:41 +0900

On Sun, Nov 07, 2004 at 09:00:05AM -0500, Thomas Dickey wrote:
> On Sun, 7 Nov 2004, Henry Nelson wrote:
>
> > I updated to lynx2.8.6dev.7, and at the same time changed from slang
> > to ncursesw, and added the --enable-japanese-utf8 configure option.
> >
> > The initial display of Japanese pages seems okay, except for the first
> > link on the page, which is shifted to the right so that the left-most
> > character of the link is duplicated, although the original character
> > is not highlighted.  As you navigate down the page, all the links shift
[...]

> With verbose images on ("as links"), I see a difference on the links with
> "Windows XP". When the links are not highlighted, the color-style coloring
> ends before the line, but when those links are highlighted, the
> highlighted part is a little longer.
>
> >   http://www8.ocn.ne.jp/~akvo/amika/Mac_de_uni.html
>
> The link for unipermak.html also isn't colored properly (for color-style).
>
> >   http://homepage1.nifty.com/kuono/ml/

I don't think these are links you particularly want to use for testing
of the "right-shifting link" problem.  These are utf-8 pages, which just
adds one more level of complication.  I had the same problem with these
university pages:
    http://www.okayama-u.ac.jp/              (charset=x-sjis)
    http://www.kyoto-u.ac.jp/                (charset=Shift_JIS)
I also see it on my lab's page:
    http://yuba.kcn.ne.jp/biorec/index.html  (charset=euc-jp)
(This last page has a neat effect, links 4-6 progressively shift
more, one kanji for 4, two kanji (actually full-size kana) for 5,
and three for link 6.)

I just now revisited the Okayama U. link, and noticed something I didn't
see before: the "underlying" link (part which is not highlighted in
reverse) is "shifting" to the left:
    ク3]GooGoogleで岡山大学のサイト内を検
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The "[" on the left side of what was "[3]" has disappeared "under"
the "ク".  Also you can see that the shift was three "half-size"
characters, namely "Goo".

Compiled with slang, the same link shows up as:
    ク [3]Googleで岡山大学のサイト内を検
          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> I'll build a non-color-style version and look at those, since I suspect
> that's what you're using.

Probably; I don't specify it as a configure option.
 --with-nls-datadir=/usr/local/share --enable-nls
 --disable-included-msgs --without-included-gettext
 --with-charsets=iso-8859-1,iso-8859-15,us-ascii,utf-8,euc-jp,shift_jis
 --with-screen=ncursesw --with-ssl --with-zlib
 --enable-nsl-fork --enable-gzip-help --enable-externs
 --enable-cgi-links --enable-internal-links
 --enable-japanese-utf8 --enable-nested-tables
 --disable-finger --disable-partial --disable-menu-options
 --disable-alt-bindings --disable-config-info
 --disable-persistent-cookies

Other possibly related settings might be:
  Use mode                    : [Advanced]
  Keypad mode                 : [Links are numbered]
  Color                       : [ON____]
  Show cursor                 : [OFF]
  Underline links (!)         : [OFF]
  Popups                      : [ON_]
  HTML error recovery (!)     : [strict (SortaSGML mode)]
  Show images (!)             : [as links_]
  Verbose images              : [show filename]

__Henry

  "Using Lynx is like wearing a really good pair of shades: cuts out
   the glare and harmful UV (ultra-vanity), and you feel so-o-o COOL."
                                         -- me, March 1999