Re: [Lynx-dev] Moving past a Search Field

From: Stef Caunter
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Moving past a Search Field
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 16:17:28 -0500 (EST)

this seems to refer to 2 different "searches"

>       On rare occasions, I will go to a site and find there is a
> search form staring me in the face.  At that point, any characters
> typed on the keyboard are assumed to be part of the search string.  If
> I tab a couple of times, the form is submitted all be it empty.  Is
> there a more elegant way to break out of a search form if one isn't
> interested in searching at the time?

Seems to refer to a form submittal of a search string to a server (server side
search).

        In this case using lynx -tna will help, although I am not sure why any
form would submit with just tabbing...

        The -tna option (TEXTFIELDS_NEED_ACTIVATION:TRUE in lynx.cfg) lets you
navigate a page without stumbling over text entry forms; you have to hit
"Enter" to start typing into a form box (before submitting the POST or GET),
which requires an input type=submit tag somewhere in the <form> tag structure
(javascript won't do). So arrow or vi_key cursor pushing works more
predictably.

>       In pages where the search form isn't the first link, I can use
> a / and tell lynx to search for some word or expression that appears
> below the search box and that works okay, but what if the search form
> is the very first thing one encounters?

Seems to refer to a search of the contents of a displayed page (client side
search). Different situation, but -tna will at least skip over those text
boxes.

__Stef
http://caunter.ca/contact.html