Re: [Lynx-dev] Simple Version Inquiry

From: Thorsten Glaser
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Simple Version Inquiry
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 11:32:24 +0000 (UTC)

Thomas Dickey dixit:

>the string that lynx uses to identify itself.  The user-agent string is
>generated in the options menu when it's empty.  I'd only look for the
>beginning of the string, e.g., "Lynx/2.8.6dev.6".  The second part doesn't

cvsweb.cgi uses a match of '^Lynx/' to detect lynx
versions, however the Netscape User Agent recommendation
states that browser strings start with Mozilla/... and
that browser-specifics are to be set later in the string.

Also, Lynx cries if the UA doesn't contain "Lynx" or
"L_y_n_x", so I'd recommend to check for

        '(Lynx|L_y_n_x)/'

anywhere in the user agent string.

MirOS for example does prepend a Mozilla/x.y (compatible; ...)
to the standard Lynx user agent string.

bye,
//mirabile