RE: [Lynx-dev] Using Lynx on small embedded devices?

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: RE: [Lynx-dev] Using Lynx on small embedded devices?
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 09:31:35 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004, Small, Gene wrote:

Thomas,

Yes there are significant limitation in the ability of this device to
generically browse and handle forms but it is not intended to browse just any
site. We are designing the other components/database that the user device has
access to and will have the server tailor the html served dependent on the
client is necessary. I had though about using the knob left and right to jump to
the previous/next link or input field, knob push to follow a link or select a
field for input, and knob pull to go to the previous page. Text entry, if we
support it, could be done with a character picker similar to what you might find
on a cell phone, only harder.

Would it seem reasonable to re-implement LYCurses to interface to this device
and if so, do you think most changes would be insulated to this one package?

Actually input is done in src/LYStrings.c: LYgetch_for() knows what
part of the program is soliciting input, or up a level to LYReadCmdKey().
LYCurses.c mostly deals with output.

I'd think it would be easiest to make some input logic that reads
your knob and passes the equivalent keystrokes to the rest of the
program.

Handling text entry is a little harder.  This is analogous to the logic
which logs keystrokes and allows replay - it would be nice if the log/replay knew about reading a whole line of text input (to make logs
easier to manipulate), and also because that would simplify things like
this which could use a different type of interface.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net