Re: [Lynx-dev] Re: weird abortions

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Re: weird abortions
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 12:21:03 -0500

On Tue, Jan 04, 2005 at 05:04:46PM +0000, Thorsten Glaser wrote:
> Thomas Dickey dixit:
> > I'm curious to see if I can build it on Linux, so I can see if it's useful.
> >  (I
> > built 3.4.3 on Sunday to check on some stuff, and looked
> > at the latest 4.0 snapshot, but didn't install the latter since its
> > configure script didn't want to let me build only c/c++/ada - don't much
> > like
> > installing 200Mb of stuff I don't want).
>
> Nice...

yes (and the build took about 5 times as long and produced a tree twice as
big).  Since their favored design approach for the makefiles is "rat's nest",
a "make -n" only gives a small clue whether it'll adhere to the --prefix
option.  So I bailed out of that one (will revisit of course).

> I'm currently upgrading to gcc 3.4-20041231, propolice is only
> available for 3.4.1 but not too difficult to apply to the 3.4
> branch.

I saw the webpage (didn't get to it yesterday due to day-job schedule,
but can probably start on it today).

> (It'll take a few weeks though, I think, until the upgrade is
>  finished.)
>
> The lynx in question was built with 3.2.3 though.

I should be able to build that (or 3.4.1).  Building gcc has gotten fairly
routine (perhaps the 4.0 stuff will change that).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net