Re: Lynx as primary browser (was Re: [Lynx-dev] how to maximize

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: Lynx as primary browser (was Re: [Lynx-dev] how to maximize
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 08:07:36 +0000 (GMT)

> In fact, I have no intention of using xhtml for any of my Web sites.
> I consider it a designed-by-committee experiment for which I have yet
> to see any definitive proof that it is backward compatible with all
> HTML 2.0 browsers. What I have seen are plenty of sites which use a

XHTML is a clean start and certainly isn't intended to be backwards
compatible.  XHTML 1.1 isn't backwards compatible, because there
are no compatibility hacks and text/html can't be used as the
media type.

Certainly, for commercial (and therefore presentational) HTML the
movement to XHTML is being done for the wrong reasons and authors
should stick with HTML.