[Lynx-dev] how to associate file types with applications?

From: David Marrs
Subject: [Lynx-dev] how to associate file types with applications?
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 14:50:02 +0000

Dear Lynx Develpers,

I hope you don't mind my posting a non-developer question, but this is the only mailing list I could find for lynx and online help resources I've scoured the net for don't address my question. I'm using the "2.8.4rel.1-mirabilos" build of lynx on Windows XP SP2.

I'm trying to work out how to open a picture file from the lynx browser. When I select the link in question (an image/png file) and type 'd' for download I get presented with the standard download options which, at the moment, only include the ability to save the file to disc. It seems that I ought to be able to add a second option to open the file in the Windows Picture Viewer. I would like to extend this functionality to include other media files, such as opening mp3s in Winamp, ram files in Realplayer, and so on.

I presume I need to edit the lynx.cfg to acomplish this, which leads me to ask if there is any info on how the config file can be edited. I read in the mailing list archive that I should be able to work it all out from the reading the config file itself...but I guess I'm not that smart.

Thank you for any help you can give.

Yours,

DM

PS. In case you were wondering why I'd want to be opening picutre files in Lynx, it is fast becoming my default browser for navigating the net. Initially I started using it just to check accessibility but, to my surprise, I found it much easier to use than the likes of Firefox for reading documents, which is what I spend the vast majority of my time online doing. No pop-ups, no animated gifs, no adverts, no white backgrounds that hurt my eyes and no having to reach for the mouse...it's great!