Re: [Lynx-dev] Lynx behaviour in VT320 terminals

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Lynx behaviour in VT320 terminals
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2005 11:04:34 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 address@hidden wrote:

Hello,

I've noticed that when I start Lynx from my terminal it automatically
puts the machine into "Application Cursor Mode" and "Application Keypad
Mode" which forces the numeric pad into cursor keys similar to if you
shut the num lock of a pc keyboard.

That's done by the terminal description.  In terminfo, that is the
smkx string, e.g.,
        smkx=\E[?1h\E=,
        rmkx=\E[?1l\E>,

Conventionally, both the numeric keypad and the cursor keypad are switched into application mode. The \E= part of the example switches the numeric keypad. The \E[?1h switches the cursor keypad. The key definitions such as kcuf1 in the terminfo have to match the latter. The former sometimes corresponds to other key definitions in the terminfo (but there's no hard rule about that).

However, vt320's don't (unless there's some keyboard-specific behavior for PC-keyboards - would be interesting to know about) send cursor-keys from the numeric keypad. That sounds more like a terminal emulator. xterm, for instance, can do that. But aside from some commercial products (and only a fraction of those that claim to do so), few terminal emulators implement vt320. So I'm curious what the actual configuration is.

Is there any configuration option to make it so the numeric keypad can
be used properly on a terminal?  If there is anyway you can help I'd
gladly appreciate it!!!

Thank you,

John Anderson