[Lynx-dev] table formatting issue

From: Larry W. Virden
Subject: [Lynx-dev] table formatting issue
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 14:17:05 -0400 (EDT)

I'm trying to convert an HTML page to plain text.  I'm struggling with
a behavior that seems counter intuitive.  Perhaps there's a flag I am
missing.

My lynx (2.8.6dev11) invocation is this (I'm in an xterm which has 300 columns):
$ unset COLUMNS
$ /projects/intranet/bin/lynx -dont_wrap_pre -width=999 -hiddenlinks=ignore
-nobold -nocolor -nolist -dump -force_html /tmp/lib.html >
/volws/$USER/ldatae/$USER.lib.txt

The intent that I'm trying for is that lynx not wrap any lines of text .

However, I'm not successful in this attempt.

A sample of the html giving me fits (please understand that this is a extremely
cut down version)
looks like this:
<!doctype html public "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
"http://www.w3c.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd";>
<head>
</head>
            <th align=left> Title/Author </th>
            <th align=left> Format     </th>
            <th align=left> Status </th>
            <th align=left> &nbsp;&nbsp; </th>
            <th align=left> &nbsp;&nbsp; </th>
John,</td>
                             ready for pickup at Reynoldsburg
                             by 22Apr2005
                            <form method=post action="/cgi-bin/wpcr1075.shtml">
                                <input type=hidden name="requestcd" value=1>
                                <input type=hidden name="title"
value="Those%20who%20walk%20in%20darkness%20/%20Ridley,%20John,">
                                <input type=hidden name="recordnumber"
value=59423>
                                <input type=hidden name="patronid"
value=210188336>
                                <input type=hidden name="rsp_reserve_cnt"
value="2">
                                <input type=hidden name="rsp_reserve_video_cnt"
value="5">
                                <input type=hidden name="rsp_print_count"
value="2">
                                <input type=hidden name="rsp_audio_count"
value="3">
                                <input type=hidden name="rsp_video_count"
value="0">
                                <input type=hidden name="rsp_im_count"
value="0">
                                <input type=hidden name="rsp_first_name"
value="LARRY">
                                <input type=hidden name="rsp_fine_balance"
value="0.0">
                                <input type=hidden name="matl_type_desc"
value="Book">
                                <input type=submit value="Cancel"
style="background-color: red">
                            </form>
                                &nbsp;

I have no control over what html is generated, and I'd rather not
massage the html after I fetch it if I don't have to.
Where as what I expected was:

   Title/Author Format Status
   Those who walk in darkness / Ridley, John, Book ready for pickup at
Reynoldsburg by 22Apr2005
   [1]Cancel

 Title/Author    Format          Status
Those who walk in darkness / Ridley, John,      Book    ready for pickup at
Reynoldsburg by 22Apr2005

what I get is

   Title/Author Format Status
   Those who walk in darkness / Ridley, John, Book
   ready for pickup at Reynoldsburg by 22Apr2005
   [1]Cancel

If I use Firefox or Mozilla with a window of 300 characters, and then
view the HTML, and the page is displayed as I was hoping lynx would
do.

Is there some additional flag I am needing to get lynx to not wrap things like
it is doing?
--
Tcl - The glue of a new generation.  <URL: http://wiki.tcl.tk/ >
Larry W. Virden <mailto:address@hidden > <URL: http://www.purl.org/NET/lvirden/

Even if explicitly stated to the contrary, nothing in this posting should
-><-