Re: [Lynx-dev] Re: reproducible crash

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Re: reproducible crash
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 08:17:19 -0400

On Wed, Jun 22, 2005 at 11:58:28AM +0000, Thorsten Glaser wrote:
> Thorsten Glaser dixit:
>
> >Hi all,
> >
> >I get a reproducible crash on dev.11i with the attached file,
> >retrieved from http://www.whatthehack.org/news/index_html and
> >renamed to "index.html" (also, when lynx'ing the URI directly
> >instead):

I did test that page, but didn't see a problem

> I still get the crash on dev.13, configured with the following

can you get a core dump (with the "-core" option)?

> >From a freshly unpacked tarball, with configure called with nothing
> except CC=mgcc in the environment (there is no cc/gcc executable)
> from pristine source, it does NOT crash.

;-)

> However, when compiling HTML.c with our standard CFLAGS, it does,
> so I suspect it's a gcc bug.
> PS: These are -O2 -pipe -Werror -Os -fno-strict-aliasing
>     -fno-strength-reduce -Wformat -fno-unit-at-a-time -fno-align-functions
>     -fno-align-labels -falign-loops=4 -falign-jumps=4 -march=i486
>     -mpush-args -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2

I'd just reduce that to -Werror for a first try, to eliminate compiler
optimization as a cause.  Aside from some comments regarding gcc 4.0,
I haven't noticed any recent complains about gcc's optimizer.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net