[Lynx-dev] Lynx on z/OS

From: michael . klaeschen
Subject: [Lynx-dev] Lynx on z/OS
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 18:54:04 +0200

Hi List,

the last entry about OS/390 in Lynx documentation I found was from about
October 2000. So I would like to tell you about my experiences installing
Lynx on OS/390 's successor z/OS. The referenced jobs are attached as plain
text files.

During my work on Lynx on z/OS, I found it runs only in z/OS Unix (aka.
Open Edition OEMVS or Unix System Services USS). Because of this, it is
very important to have a correctly configured C-Compiler and Language
Environment for z/OS Unix. I used CCNCMP, i.e. C/C++ Compiler for z/OS, no
clue if old ANSI CBCCMP for OS/390 works. IBM offers good hints about LE
settings for z/OS Unix on their USS homepage.
I really would like to know if anyone has experiences with a pure MVS
version using 3270 / ISPF.

As prerequisites for building Lynx I installed GNU versions of various
programs like make, lex and yacc (i.e. gmake, flex and bison) as described
in "Open Source Software on z/OS and OS/390 UNIX", IBM-Form # SG24-5944-01.

I found a source paket of lynx in version V2R8M5 in the internet. It was a
compressed-tar-file (tar.Z). This archive-file was transferred to z/OS via
binary ftp. I choosed my individual /u-directory in the hierarchical file
system (HFS) as target (job LYNXFTP). I unloaded the archive with the
/bin/pax program using character set conversion from ASCII ISO8859-1 to
EBCDIC IBM-1047 (job LYNXLOAD). The archive was unloaded into a HFS
subdirectory "lynx2-8-5" located under target directory (be sure to have
some secondary extents available for your HFS data set). As described in
the installation manual, I executed the configure script (job LYNXCONF).
It ran without problems and created some configuration- and make-files.

I executed the makefile to compile and link the sources (job LYNXGMAK).
Indeed, I needed some attempts and found following points to change for my
z/OS installation:

      as mentioned above, I used GNU make instead IBM make. I left IBM make
      at its default name "make" and choosed GNU make to be called as
      "gmake" instead of "make". Therefore, I needed to change makefile
      environment variables "MAKE" from make to gmake. This was done
      manually, think of e.g.:
      first use "/bin/find . -type f -name "makefile" -exec /bin/egrep -l
      MAKE {} \;" to find all makefiles containing some information about
      which make to use. I change the values to GNU make for all of the
      makefile (I found two of them) manually with the ISPF editor.

      The file "lynx_cfg.h" contains a preprocessor directive that defines
      a value of "1" to HAVE_WATTR_GET. I think, this enables Lynx to use
      some C-function "getwattr()". Unfortunately, our C environment does
      not have this function. I added a record "#undef HAVE_WATTR_GET"
      directly after the record "#define HAVE_WATTR_GET 1" in "lynx_cfg.h"
      as a circumvention.

After I was successful, LYNXGMAK still produced some spool in STDERR DD,
but this seems to be all right because these are no error messages.
However, STDOUT DD reads "Welcome to Lynx" at one of its last records. An
additional execcution of gmake with parameter "test" delivered "nothing to
be done for test".

For installation I had not much to do, it is just another execution of
gmake. As mentioned above, I installed some GNU utilities already. They
reside in a HFS mounted on /usr/lpp/local. This is specific to z/OS because
all other products like e.g. DB2, DFSMS and CICS TS have their mountpoints
in /usr/lpp-HFS. To be conform with GNU reading of /usr-HFS I defined a HFS
alias (symlink-link) which relates /usr/local to /usr/lpp/local.
To copy Lynx libraries into /usr/local means to manipulate something
outside my own /u-HFS. An effective UID of zero is sufficient to do so. As
a system programmer I have read access to RACF BPX.SUPERUSER facility class
profile. Without this, an installation may be done into your own HFS, I
think. There are some parameters to pass to the configure script. But I am
not familiar with this.
To change the effective UID to zero, I had to modify LYNXGMAK a little bit
as described in LYNXGMKR. I executed LYNXGMKR three times: with the
install, install-help and install-doc parameter. These jobs ran fine and I
was able to start Lynx from a telnet vt100 session (May be other types of
teletypes work, too. But I choosed vt100 to make clear it was no 3270).

Cheers
Michael

(See attached file: LYNXCONF)(See attached file: LYNXFTP)(See attached
file: LYNXGMAK)(See attached file: LYNXGMKR)(See attached file: LYNXUNLD)
Provinzial Versicherungen
Michael Kläschen
Sophienblatt 33
24114 Kiel

Telefon (0431) 603-1968
Telefax (0431) 603-101968
http://www.provinzial.de
Diese E-Mail ist allein für den / die bezeichneten Adressaten bestimmt. Sie
kann rechtlich
vertrauliche Informationen enthalten. Wenn Sie diese E-Mail irrtümlich
erhalten haben,
informieren Sie bitte unverzüglich den Absender und löschen Sie diese
Nachricht von Ihrem
Computer. Vielen Dank.

This email is for the exclusive use of the addressee. It may contain
legally privileged
information. If you have received this message in error, please notify the
sender immediately
and delete the message from your computer. Thank you.